Friday, August 20, 2021

Digital Fluency Intensive : Week 3 Blog Post

Today was our third session of the Digital Fluency Intensive course for term 3 - today's focus was media, and how to make some small adjustments to our daily practices.

During this session, we kept on diving deeper into the Manaiakalani's LearnCreateShare pedagogy. Today, we have been focusing on the 'Create' part of the pedagogy. I am a big fan of  'Create', and can totally see how we can link this to our school values (where 'Creatiativity' is, in fact, one of the stepping stones). I liked the idea that the  'Learn' and 'Create' can be untertwined and linked to one another. New Windsor School has started its DMIC journey this year, and this would be a great example as to when the learning and the creating can take place simultaneously. 

I feel like we've had 2 create sessions today. One was based on Google Drawings, and the other on Google Slides.

We started using Google Drawings to create an About Me image which we can use to introduce ourselves on our blogs. Here is mine: 

Then, we moved on to Google Slides. I had heaps of fun creating  a Pick-a-Path slideshow for my class to use. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to finish mine, but I am super excited about doing some extra work on it and using it with my learners. Hopefully it is not too wordy (I am aware that I did get a little overexcited, and the activity will be challenging for some of my students... I might have to work on it some more, and find a way to differentiate it to make it more accessible to my learners... Definitely worth a thought!), and my students can enjoy playing around with it. Have a look yourself and let me know what you think of it:


I was already pretty comfortable using YouTube, Google Drawings as well as Google Slides before today's session, but I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed working on my pick-a-path activity.  I have always love those kind of "pick your own adventure" books, and had been thinking about doing my own one for a little while. I had started working on a similar project using Google Forms at the start of this term, but using Google Slides instead made it way more manageable and easier to create.

I cannot wait until next week's session - I love Google Forms, but if I am being totally honest with you, Google Sheets is my absolute favourite Google tool to use and have fun with. (Although I must admit that I recently found out about Data Studio, and I can feel myself falling in love already... To be continued...)

Oops, I am a little late to the party this week. It looks like someone might have forgotten to hit the 'publish' button last Friday.  🤦

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Flo. I'm glad you enjoyed the pick-a-path session. Even if this is a bit too tricky for your students to create themselves I bet they'd be super engaged with any pick-a-path stories you created for them. You could then differentiate the slides based on your learners. I hope you enjoyed the Sheets day too!

    ReplyDelete